Saturday, September 5, 2009

Rex


meet our newest member of the family guaranteed not to outlive anything else in this household....
i figured if i couldn't have another baby or obtain one through foster or adoption; our long battle with being wishy washy over a fifth child; i decided to soothe my raw nerves and give the kids what they wanted a tiny tiny rodent. rae rae wanted a small grey mouse which was super cute... luke really begged for the guinea pig; of course after G2 or what ever that movie was..... and they both compromised on a hamster since his cage and tunnels and wheels looked like something they themselves would love to crawl through... luke really thought the giant guinea pig might be able to handle the hamster tunnels.... um o.k. nice wishful thinking.
So have you ever seen a terrified 18 yr. old boy who's biggest fear was a hamster?
Here it goes:
we were at Pet Smart, 'I'd really like to buy a hamster; can you open the cages so we can see which one we like?'.... (it was just Noah and myself)
teenage boy; trembling let me add; with a shaky voice, "Oh you can stick your hand in any cage you want; I'm not going near those things they are VICIOUS!
Seriously?
Wait. I'm sorry!!! Seriously??
WOW!
Noah respectfully kept silent and tried his best to not judge the dude.
So I proceed to pick up this little black and white guy and turn him over in my hands, I had to get my digs in, 'wow he's uhh... really vampiric huh?'
The guy looked pretty sheepish, "well you just got lucky; he might be a good one'.
Needless to say he made the cut and now has a condo in the homeschool room. The kids are overjoyed; i think he's just what we needed in our zoo...
The kids named him REX short for TREX the man eating dinosaur... however; i can find rae rae from time to time stomping her little foot, hand on her hip arguing with one of the brothers, 'his name is Sugarplum Max!'
'NO WAY RACHEL!' any of the three....
guess i can cut liz some slack for letting hannah name her kitty Starbright Snowdrop....



















4 comments:

Brandon McNaughton said...

I like the name...Although with a name like Rex, I may keep my distance too.

steph said...

you are a good mom! that is one thing i cannot have in my house, ewwwww!

~ Kati said...

He's soooo cute!! I always wanted a hamster...must be the maternal instinct thing :) I love your pics by the way. you should do that in your 'spare' time :)

Gramma Nee' said...

I told the boys I would hold it when I come over...you will have to stand next to me :) Not to fond of hamsters, but I am glad the kids have a new pet ;)